Statement of Comparability for Foreign Higher Education Qualifications in Germany

General Information about Recognition

Recognition of a foreign educational credential refers to the confirmation of its value, which may be needed for various professional and academic purposes. For example, it may be desirable for working in a regulated or non-regulated profession, or to improve opportunities for a professional start and future career. Recognition may also be required to gain access to further education opportunities at school, work or in academia.

The recognition of a foreign qualification thus encourages not only labour market integration and academic mobility. It also helps securing skilled employees.

What is a Statement of Comparability?

The Statement of Comparability is an official document issued by the “Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen” (Central Office for Foreign Education – ZAB) that describes the foreign higher education qualification, its professional and academic usage.

The ZAB Statement of Comparability can facilitate access to the German labour market for holders of foreign higher education qualifications. It is a comparative assessment but not a recognition certificate.


What information is included in the Statement of Comparability?

The Statement specifies the German qualification to which your foreign qualification is comparable and provides information on the options for continuing your studies, the legal basis of the use of academic degrees and the procedure of professional recognition. The Statement does not give rise to a legal claim.

The Statement is issued in a long and a short version. Both versions will be sent to you together. The short version is intended for use as an enclosure to your application documents and supplies information for the employer or employment agency on the comparability of your higher education qualification to a German degree. You can use the long version whenever more detailed information is required.


For which qualifications does the ZAB issue Statements of Comparability?

Statements of Comparability are issued for higher education degrees obtained world-wide. The ZAB does not provide Statements for incomplete higher education courses or courses not assigned to the field of higher education.

Statements of Comparability cannot be issued for school certificates.


What needs to be considered when holding a degree in medicine?

The Statement of Comparability does in no way replace the recognition needed in order to practice medicine in Germany. If you would like to work as a physician in Germany, the Statement of Comparability is not the appropriate document for you.

Please do not apply for recognition at the ZAB, but at the relevant recognition authority.

This also applies e.g. to dentists, pharmacists, psychotherapists, child psychotherapists and nurses.

The Statement of Comparability does not authorise the use of the German academic title “Dr. med.”. The use of an academic title must follow the regulations of the Länder. You can find these regulations here.


What you should consider regarding a profession in teaching?

The Statement of Comparability in no way substitutes the official recognition required in the individual Länder to practice a profession in teaching in public schools. If you intend to practice a profession in teaching in a public school in Germany, the Statement of Comparability is not the correct document for you.

Please apply for recognition at the appropriate recognition authority instead.

The Statement of Comparability can be useful for you if you intend to work in a non-regulated profession with your foreign degree in teaching. These include professions outside of public schools, such as a mathematician, chemist, etc. or as a teacher at language or music schools and tutoring institutions.


Legal basis

“Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region” (Lisbon Recognition Convention) from 11 April 1997, in force since 1 October 2007.

The Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany have entrusted the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) with this task. The ZAB issues Statements of Comparability for higher education qualifications from any country in the world.


The European Centre for Middle East Studies-ECMES provides advice and support for all Academics from Middle East. contact us.

Hits: 23

Leave a Reply